Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need to come to your office to have my tax returns prepared and filed?

In these busy times, we understand that it is sometimes hard to find time during the workday to physically come into our office to prepare your tax return. We are set up to receive your documents by e-mail, fax or regular mail. Once we have completed your return, we can schedule a time for you to come in to review it, or we can set up a telephone conference if that is more convenient for you. Email us at to get the process going. 


Is my information safe to send to you over the internet?

Absolutely! We are highly protected with secure firewalls, so there is no chance of identity theft through our portal.


How do I know you received my information?

We will send confirmation of receipt within 48 hours. If you don't receive this, please call our office at 856.881.2500.

What documents do I need to prepare my tax return?

To protect against identity theft, you must enter your driver’s license information onto your form. Please have your driver’s license with you and, if you are married, a copy of your spouse’s driver’s license. Here are other documents you may need, depending on your situation:



  • W-2 forms

  • 1099 forms if you completed contract work and earned more than $600

  • Investment income: interest income Form 1099-INT, dividend income Form 1099-DIV, proceeds from sale of stock or bond Form 1099-B

  • Income from state tax refunds from prior year

  • Business income

  • Unemployment income

  • Rental property income

  • Social Security benefits Form SSA-1099

  • Pension Distributions Form 1099-R


  • IRA contributions

  • Student loan interest

  • Medical Expenses

  • Mortgage interest

  • Property taxes

  • Education costs

  • Childcare costs

  • Charitable contributions

  • Business expenses

  • Alimony paid

  • Educator expenses

For a direct deposit refund:

  • Bank routing number

  • Bank account number